- CRIME ＆ COURTS
Banks Negative about Refinancing Bigmotor Loans
17:48 JST, August 15, 2023
TOKYO (Jiji Press) — Creditor banks of used car dealer Bigmotor Co. have shown intention of refusing the scandal-hit company’s request for refinancing its ¥9 billion debt falling due in mid-August, it was learned Monday.
According to people familiar with the matter, Bigmotor discussed with the banks ways to raise funds for daily operations on Thursday amid mounting concerns over the adverse effects of the auto repair insurance fraud scandal on its earnings.
Since the scandal came to light, the high-profile used car dealer has been losing customers and seen conclusion of auto loan contracts through Bigmotir outlets by consumer finance firm Jaccs Co. suspended.
Although Bigmotor has more than ¥30 billion in cash and deposits, the banks have concluded that keeping extending loans to the firm is risky, people familiar with the matter said.
From now on, the Tokyo-based company is likely to liquidate asset holdings and inventory to procure necessary funds while being urged by the banks to draw up a business reconstruction plan.
"SOCIETY" POPULAR ARTICLE
AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)
Bears Sighted in Tokyo Suburbs, Including near Mt. Takao (Update 1)
Tokyo Dips below 10 C; Temperatures Fall in Japan
Junko Ohashi, singer of ‘Silhouette Romance,’ dies at 73
X Japan Bassist Heath Dies at 55; Yoshiki Thought to Have Returned to Japan for Him
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan, Vietnam Trade Ministers Discuss Supply Chains, IPEF
- BOJ Ueda: Japan Increasingly Likely to Hit Inflation Target
- Stimulus Package Set to Drive Greater Govt Borrowing; Likely Effectiveness Called into Question
- AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)
- Food, Beverage Price Hikes Show Signs of Easing; Fuel Prices, Consumer Frugality Slowing Down Price Rises