- CRIME ＆ COURTS
SDF Cadet Being Held over Shooting Tried to Take Ammunition
14:05 JST, June 21, 2023
The Ground Self-Defense Force cadet suspected of shooting three instructors at a firing range in Gifu City allegedly tried to take ammunition, according to government sources.
Two of the instructors were killed and one is seriously injured.
The suspect, 18, who was referred to prosecutors on suspicion of murder, allegedly fired shots with a Type 89 rifle toward the three instructors during a training exercise at the GSDF’s Hino basic firing range on June 14.
The cadet reportedly told police that he “did not have any grudge against the three.” He was not in a position to receive direct instruction from them outside of the shooting range.
The SDF police and the Gifu prefectural police are investigating his motives and the circumstances behind the incident, suspecting the shooter tried to take live ammunition that had been prepared for cadets participating in the training exercise.
"SOCIETY" POPULAR ARTICLE
AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)
Bears Sighted in Tokyo Suburbs, Including near Mt. Takao (Update 1)
Tokyo Dips below 10 C; Temperatures Fall in Japan
Junko Ohashi, singer of ‘Silhouette Romance,’ dies at 73
X Japan Bassist Heath Dies at 55; Yoshiki Thought to Have Returned to Japan for Him
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Exports of Nishikigoi Carp to China Halted; Permits for Japanese Aquaculture Facilities By China Have Expired
- Japan April-Sept. Current Account Surplus Hits Record High
- Japan 2023 Food Exports Reach 1 Tril. Yen at Record Pace
- 69.7 Bil. Yen in COVID-19 Loans to Small Businesses Uncollectible
- AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)