- Crime & Courts
Body of Japan ex-PM Abe returned to Tokyo
17:08 JST, July 9, 2022
A car believed to be carrying the body of former Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, who was shot dead Friday during a stump speech, arrived at his home in Shibuya Ward, Tokyo, on Saturday afternoon.
The car set out early Saturday morning from Nara Medical University Hospital in Kashihara, Nara Prefecture, where Abe had been treated following the attack.
Sanae Takaichi, chairperson of the Liberal Democratic Party’s Policy Research Council, Tatsuo Fukuda, chairman of the party’s General Council and bureaucrats who had served as secretaries to Abe when he was prime minister awaited the arrival of the car at Abe’s home.
Numerous reporters, including representatives of foreign media, gathered in front of the house and some neighbors were seen offering prayers.
Prime Minister Fumio Kishida visited the home to offer his condolences Saturday afternoon.
"Society" POPULAR ARTICLE
Possibility of Warning-Level Snowfall in Tokyo’s 23 Wards; Heavy Snow Expected in Japan’s Kanto-Koshin Region (UPDATE 5)
M5.2 Earthquake Hits Tokyo’s Neighboring Areas; No Tsunami Expected
Over 10 Killer Whales Trapped Amid Drift Ice Off Coast of Hokkaido’s Shiretoko Peninsula
Earthquake Measuring Magnitude 4.3 Hits Kyoto Prefecture; No Tsunami Expected (Update 1)
One Month to go Until the Hokuriku Shinkansen Extension; the “First Train” Sells Out in 1 Minute
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Current Account Surplus Doubles in ’23
- ‘All-country’ Stock Mutual Funds Popular with NISA Investors
- Japan Real Wages Fall at Steepest Pace in 9 Years in 2023
- Pressure Mounting for Wage Increases in Shunto Negotiations; Fears about the Response of Struggling SMEs
- North Korean Workers in China Riot over Unpaid Wages; 2,000 Occupy Factory, Kill Plant Manager