- Japan In Focus
Model Train Exhibition in Aomori Delights Children, Fans; Visitors Operate Model Trains Onboard Retired Ferry
16:27 JST, January 24, 2024
AOMORI — An exhibition of about 30 model trains and railroads set up by local enthusiasts fascinated families and train fans in Aomori earlier in January.
The exhibition ran from Jan. 6 to 8 onboard the Seikan Ferry Memorial Ship Hakkoda-maru, a retired ferry now used as a museum near JR Aomori Station.
Since Hakkoda-maru used to transport train cars, the exhibition was planned as part of a three-day event for fans of the ferry.
The exhibition showcased dioramas featuring Shinkansen and steam trains running on railroads, and visitors were able to operate some of them.
“The Shinkansen looked so cool. When I was controlling it, it was difficult to slow down at the curves with the right timing,” said Yamato Munakata, 9, a third grade elementary school student from the town of Nakadomari in the prefecture.
"Features" POPULAR ARTICLE
Fukuoka Castle to Come to Life Lit Up in 7 Different Colors
Shibuya Cafe Continues to Offer Experience of Listening to Masterpieces; Near 100-Year-old Cafe Maintains Traditional Atmosphere of Years Gone By
Flames Spread over Mt. Wakakusa in Nara During Festival to Pray for Ancestors’ Souls and Peaceful Life; Viewers Gaze at Red Sky and Moon Above Kofukuji Temple
Kawazu-zakura Cherry Blossom Trees Adorn Riverbanks in Shizuoka Town; Blossoms Bloomed 5 Days Earlier than Last Year in Japan
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan Business Delegation, Chinese Premier Li Meet; Both Sides Tout Importance of Bilateral Economic Ties
- Japan Logs Trade Deficit of ¥9.29 Tril. in 2023
- Japan Business Delegation in Beijing for 1st Time in 4 Years; Participants Scheduled to Meet with Premier Li Qiang
- Japan Eyes 45 B. Yen in Aid for Optical Semiconductors
- Japan’s Job Availability Ratio Rises for 2nd Straight Year