- JAPAN IN FOCUS
Nara: Statue of Street Fighter Character Unveiled
14:00 JST, June 17, 2023
KASHIHARA, Nara — A bronze statue of Ryu, the brawny main character from the popular fighting game series “Street Fighter,” was unveiled last month in front of the City Tourism Exchange Center in Kashihara, Nara Prefecture.
The city is aiming to install statues of other characters with the goal of increasing tourists.
“Street Fighter” is a product of major game software company Capcom Co. In August 2022, the city concluded a collaborative agreement to use its characters in a drive to invigorate the region. Six civic-minded residents, looking to make a contribution, donated the statue.
The statue of Ryu, wearing traditional martial arts gear and standing in a fighting pose, measures about 1.6 meters in height including the pedestal. It was created by a copperware maker in Toyama Prefecture.
After the unveiling ceremony on May 27, passersby were seen taking pictures.
“It’s a game that’s also popular overseas,” a city official said. “We are hoping that tourists from home and abroad will come and see [the statue].”
"FEATURES" POPULAR ARTICLE
Kyoto Train Offers Passengers Journey Wrapped in Autumn Colors via Maple Tree Tunnel
Korea Craze in Japan Unlikely to End Anytime Soon; Shin-Okubo is a Hub of Korean Pop Culture, Food
Kintetsu Dept Store, Fujiya Open New Pekolicious Sweets Shop in Osaka
Nagasaki: Mom, Young Daughter Help Keep Mask-changing Chinese Art Alive
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan, Vietnam Trade Ministers Discuss Supply Chains, IPEF
- BOJ Ueda: Japan Increasingly Likely to Hit Inflation Target
- Stimulus Package Set to Drive Greater Govt Borrowing; Likely Effectiveness Called into Question
- Food, Beverage Price Hikes Show Signs of Easing; Fuel Prices, Consumer Frugality Slowing Down Price Rises
- AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)