- JAPAN IN FOCUS
Kochi: Lovable baddie Baikinman gets his left horn back
15:26 JST, August 13, 2022
KOCHI — A stone statue of Baikinman, a character from the popular manga Anpanman, had its horn broken in Kochi City.
Four stone statues based on characters from Anpanman have been installed in the city, as the creator Takashi Yanase (1919-2013) is from Kochi Prefecture. The 45-centimeter-tall Baikinman statue is one of them. Its left horn was found broken in June, so the city government dispatched a contractor for repairs, which were completed in July.
According to the city government, the repairs cost ¥223,300, including labor costs for traffic control and polishing the aged parts. A man who has been arrested for allegedly kicking over and breaking the statue may also be required to cover a portion of the cost for the damage.
"FEATURES" POPULAR ARTICLE
Autumn in Full Swing in Kyoto
Millennium-Old Traditional ‘Naked Festival’ to Be Held for Last Time Next February at Iwate Pref. Temple
Nagasaki: Mom, Young Daughter Help Keep Mask-changing Chinese Art Alive
Kintetsu Dept Store, Fujiya Open New Pekolicious Sweets Shop in Osaka
Old Tokyo Building Becomes a Hub for Various Regions in Japan
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan’s Economy Contracts as Demand Wanes
- AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)
- Bears Sighted in Tokyo Suburbs, Including near Mt. Takao (Update 1)
- Tokyo Dips below 10 C; Temperatures Fall in Japan
- Tsunami observed in Japanese coast after the earthquake near Philippines (UPDATE2)