- JAPAN IN FOCUS
Aomori: Wind chimes offer soothing sound in cool summer
19:11 JST, July 20, 2021
GOSHOGAWARA, Aomori — Pottery maker Tsugaru Kanayama-yaki in Goshogawara, Aomori Prefecture, has created “wind chime road,” lined with about 300 of the jingling sound makers.
The gentle tinkling of the chimes relaxes visitors by helping ring in a sense of summer. The chime road will be open through late August.
The wind chimes, which underwent ceramic firing on June 19, are on display in an area outside of a gallery where pottery is sold.
Tsugaru Kanayama-yaki is known for its slow-firing technique in a kiln that uses firewood. This year, black wind chimes fired in a kiln used for Sue pottery are among the featured products.
Ayumi Shibata, 38, who is in charge of the event, said: “Because of the novel coronavirus, it’s getting harder to have direct contact with customers. So instead, I want the wind chimes to greet them.”
"FEATURES" POPULAR ARTICLE
Autumn in Full Swing in Kyoto
Kintetsu Dept Store, Fujiya Open New Pekolicious Sweets Shop in Osaka
Nagasaki: Mom, Young Daughter Help Keep Mask-changing Chinese Art Alive
Millennium-Old Traditional ‘Naked Festival’ to Be Held for Last Time Next February at Iwate Pref. Temple
Illuminations Brighten Up Events, Buildings and Roadside Trees in Central Tokyo
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Exports of Nishikigoi Carp to China Halted; Permits for Japanese Aquaculture Facilities By China Have Expired
- Japan April-Sept. Current Account Surplus Hits Record High
- AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)
- BOJ Member Sought Tweak in Easing
- Bears Sighted in Tokyo Suburbs, Including near Mt. Takao (Update 1)