- FILM & TV
Actress Sakura Ando, Director Shunji Iwai Invited to Join Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences
16:57 JST, June 29, 2023
LOS ANGELES — Actress Sakura Ando and director Shunji Iwai have been invited to join the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, according to an announcement released Wednesday.
The academy has invited 398 people to join the organization, the announcement said. Members are eligible to vote for the Academy Awards.
Ando, 37, has been recognized for her roles in “A Man,” which won eight awards at the Japan Academy Film Prize, and for “Shoplifters,” which won the Palme d’Or, the highest award at the Cannes Film Festival.
Iwai, 60, has directed films such as “Vampire” and “Swallowtail Butterfly.”
Also among this year’s invitees are Kazuo Ishiguro, winner of the Nobel Prize in Literature in 2017, and popular U.S. singer Taylor Swift.
"CULTURE" POPULAR ARTICLE
Colorful, Intricate Handmade Kaga Thimbles Make Comeback with Modern Motifs
Refugee Film Festival Starts in Tokyo with Documentaries from Afghanistan, South Sudan, Venezuela, Others
Hatsune Miku Turns 16; Vocaloid Software Same Age as Fictional Background
Director of New Godzilla Film Pursuing ‘Japanese Spirituality’ of 1954 Original
LVMH’s Top Jewelry Brands Occupy Entrance to Tokyo’s Omotesando
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan, Vietnam Trade Ministers Discuss Supply Chains, IPEF
- BOJ Ueda: Japan Increasingly Likely to Hit Inflation Target
- Stimulus Package Set to Drive Greater Govt Borrowing; Likely Effectiveness Called into Question
- Food, Beverage Price Hikes Show Signs of Easing; Fuel Prices, Consumer Frugality Slowing Down Price Rises
- Japan 2023 Food Exports Reach 1 Tril. Yen at Record Pace