- FILM & TV
“Drive My Car” receives 4 Oscar nominations
10:41 JST, February 9, 2022
LOS ANGELES (Jiji Press) — Japanese director Ryusuke Hamaguchi’s “Drive My Car” received 2022 Academy Awards nominations for best picture, best director, best adapted screenplay and best international feature on Tuesday.
This marked the first best picture nomination for a Japanese film. The award ceremony will take place on March 27.
Drive My Car, based on the namesake short story of Japanese author Haruki Murakami, features a man reeling from the sudden death of his wife. It depicts the man looking back at himself after meeting a reticent woman hired to become his driver.
At last year’s Cannes Film Festival, Hamaguchi and screenwriter Takamasa Oe won the Best Screenplay Award for the movie.
This year, Drive My Car won four awards from the U.S. National Society of Film Critics. It became the first Japanese film in 62 years to receive the Golden Globe award for best film in the non-English language category.
"CULTURE" POPULAR ARTICLE
Colorful, Intricate Handmade Kaga Thimbles Make Comeback with Modern Motifs
Refugee Film Festival Starts in Tokyo with Documentaries from Afghanistan, South Sudan, Venezuela, Others
Director of New Godzilla Film Pursuing ‘Japanese Spirituality’ of 1954 Original
Hatsune Miku Turns 16; Vocaloid Software Same Age as Fictional Background
LVMH’s Top Jewelry Brands Occupy Entrance to Tokyo’s Omotesando
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan, Vietnam Trade Ministers Discuss Supply Chains, IPEF
- BOJ Ueda: Japan Increasingly Likely to Hit Inflation Target
- Stimulus Package Set to Drive Greater Govt Borrowing; Likely Effectiveness Called into Question
- Food, Beverage Price Hikes Show Signs of Easing; Fuel Prices, Consumer Frugality Slowing Down Price Rises
- AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)