Nikkei Average Falls as Chips-Related Stocks Sold Off
18:15 JST, September 19, 2023
The Nikkei average on Tuesday ended 290.50 lower than the previous weekend, closing at 33,242.59.
The sharp decline in high-tech stocks in the U.S. stock market over the previous weekend and the slow recovery in the previous day’s trading had a negative impact on semiconductor-related stocks in the Tokyo market.
The broader TOPIX rose 1.92 points to end at 2,430.30 which is the highest level in about 33 years since May 1990.
"BUSINESS" POPULAR ARTICLE
Japan’s Economy Contracts as Demand Wanes
Japan Railway Operators Eye Net-zero CO2 Emissions Via Hydrogen Fuel Cell Trains
3 Japan Railway Firms to Introduce System to Pay Fare by Tapping Credit Card at Ticket Gates
Suntory’s Hibiki Whiskey Price Planned to Increase by 125％; Demand Higher than Production
Energy Challenges / High Electricity Bills Overshadow Digitalization in Japan
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan’s Economy Contracts as Demand Wanes
- Sardines and Mackerels Blanket Beach in Hokkaido; Local Fishermen ‘Never Seen This Many’
- Tsunami observed in Japanese coast after the earthquake near Philippines (UPDATE2)
- Autumn in Full Swing in Kyoto
- Japan Railway Operators Eye Net-zero CO2 Emissions Via Hydrogen Fuel Cell Trains