Tokyo Stocks Close Above ¥31,000 for 1st Time in 33 Years
16:19 JST, May 22, 2023
The Nikkei share average closed Monday at ¥31,086.82, up ¥278.47 from Friday’s close.
It was the eighth consecutive business day for the stock average to rise.
The last time the share average exceeded ¥31,000 was in July 1990, when Japan was in the midst of an asset-driven bubble economy.
The stock market saw a rapid increase in trading on Monday afternoon. It is believed that buy orders were swollen by foreign investors, who have been driving the recent rally in stock prices.
"BUSINESS" POPULAR ARTICLE
Exports of Nishikigoi Carp to China Halted; Permits for Japanese Aquaculture Facilities By China Have Expired
Japan’s Economy Contracts as Demand Wanes
BOJ Member Sought Tweak in Easing
Japan Railway Operators Eye Net-zero CO2 Emissions Via Hydrogen Fuel Cell Trains
3 Japan Railway Firms to Introduce System to Pay Fare by Tapping Credit Card at Ticket Gates
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Exports of Nishikigoi Carp to China Halted; Permits for Japanese Aquaculture Facilities By China Have Expired
- Japan’s Economy Contracts as Demand Wanes
- AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)
- BOJ Member Sought Tweak in Easing
- Bears Sighted in Tokyo Suburbs, Including near Mt. Takao (Update 1)