Japan 2023 New Auto Sales Up for 1st Time in 5 Years
12:23 JST, January 6, 2024
TOKYO (Jiji Press) — New automobile sales in Japan in 2023 grew 13.8% from the previous year to 4,779,086 units, up for the first time in five years, industry data showed Friday.
The growth reflected brisk sales of new vehicle models, as well as a recovery from the COVID-19 crisis and the easing of semiconductor supply shortages.
Meanwhile, domestic new auto sales in December at Daihatsu Motor Co., embroiled in a fraudulent testing scandal, slid 12.7% from a year before.
The data was released by the Japan Automobile Dealers Association and the Japan Light Motor Vehicle and Motorcycle Association.
"Business" POPULAR ARTICLE
Japan Eyes 45 B. Yen in Aid for Optical Semiconductors
Business, Labor Leaders Reaffirm Vow to Raise Wages in Shunto Talks
Japan’s Job Availability Ratio Rises for 2nd Straight Year
Japanese Automakers’ New Car Market Share Plummeting in Thailand
Budget Carrier Air Japan Poised to Start Flights to Bangkok; New Airline to Focus on Southeast Asia Routes
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan Eyes 45 B. Yen in Aid for Optical Semiconductors
- Business, Labor Leaders Reaffirm Vow to Raise Wages in Shunto Talks
- Japan’s Job Availability Ratio Rises for 2nd Straight Year
- North Korean Workers in China Riot over Unpaid Wages; 2,000 Occupy Factory, Kill Plant Manager
- M4.8 Earthquake Hits Central Tokyo; No Tsunami Expected