Printing of New Banknotes Progresses toward July 2024 Debut
13:53 JST, June 29, 2023
The planned issuance of three denominations of new banknotes, including a ¥10,000 bill featuring noted industrialist Eiichi Shibusawa, will begin in the first half of July next year, the Finance Ministry said Wednesday.
The new ¥5,000 note will bear a portrait of Umeko Tsuda, an advocate of women’s education who founded Tsuda University, while bacteriologist Shibasaburo Kitasato will be the face of the new ¥1,000 bill in the country’s first banknote renewal in 20 years.
Incorporating the latest anti-counterfeit technology, the bills are currently being printed at the National Printing Bureau’s Tokyo plant in Kita Ward, Tokyo. As many as 4.53 billion new notes are expected to be in stock by March next year.
"BUSINESS" POPULAR ARTICLE
Japan’s Economy Contracts as Demand Wanes
Haneda Airport to Showcase Japan’s Master Craftsmanship to World with Luxury Store
Japan Sees 2.52 Mil. Visitors in October, Exceeding Pre-COVID Levels
Japan Railway Operators Eye Net-zero CO2 Emissions Via Hydrogen Fuel Cell Trains
3 Japan Railway Firms to Introduce System to Pay Fare by Tapping Credit Card at Ticket Gates
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan’s Economy Contracts as Demand Wanes
- Haneda Airport to Showcase Japan’s Master Craftsmanship to World with Luxury Store
- Japan Sees 2.52 Mil. Visitors in October, Exceeding Pre-COVID Levels
- Sardines and Mackerels Blanket Beach in Hokkaido; Local Fishermen ‘Never Seen This Many’
- Tsunami observed in Japanese coast after the earthquake near Philippines (UPDATE2)