Department store sales see 4.6% rise
12:49 JST, April 27, 2022
TOKYO (Jiji Press) — Sales at department stores in Japan in March rose 4.6% from a year earlier on a same-store basis thanks to a recovery in customer traffic, the Japan Department Stores Association said Monday.
Overall sales at 190 stores came to ¥426 billion. The number of customers grew 2.9%, after a state of COVID-19 pre-emergency was fully lifted in March.
Sales of spring clothing and luxury items like wristwatches were robust. Demand grew for Japanese and Western confectioneries for gifts.
The overall sales figure was still 15.2% lower than that for March 2019, before the spread of the novel coronavirus. But sales excluding those of tax-free goods to foreigners were down only 3.5% from the March 2019 level.
"BUSINESS" POPULAR ARTICLE
Japan resumes entry of foreign tourists
Restaurant chains think outside box to blunt hit from soaring prices
Processing power: Robot speeds production at Nagoya food manufacturer
Bread crusts, coffee beans transformed into craft beer by Japan brewing firm
Philippines to call for banana price rise in Japan
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan, Finland confirm unity in dealing with Russia
- Mangaka Fujiko Fujio A dies at 88
- China’s aircraft carrier drills near Japan aimed at around-the-clock attack capability
- Fukushima lab releases images of ‘highly likely’ UFOs
- As wheat prices soar, Japanese food industry pushes rice flour as alternative