Department store sales see 4.6% rise
12:49 JST, April 27, 2022
TOKYO (Jiji Press) — Sales at department stores in Japan in March rose 4.6% from a year earlier on a same-store basis thanks to a recovery in customer traffic, the Japan Department Stores Association said Monday.
Overall sales at 190 stores came to ¥426 billion. The number of customers grew 2.9%, after a state of COVID-19 pre-emergency was fully lifted in March.
Sales of spring clothing and luxury items like wristwatches were robust. Demand grew for Japanese and Western confectioneries for gifts.
The overall sales figure was still 15.2% lower than that for March 2019, before the spread of the novel coronavirus. But sales excluding those of tax-free goods to foreigners were down only 3.5% from the March 2019 level.
"BUSINESS" POPULAR ARTICLE
Japan’s Economy Contracts as Demand Wanes
Japan Railway Operators Eye Net-zero CO2 Emissions Via Hydrogen Fuel Cell Trains
3 Japan Railway Firms to Introduce System to Pay Fare by Tapping Credit Card at Ticket Gates
Department Stores Stuff 2024 Lucky Bags with Family-friendly Experiences
Suntory’s Hibiki Whiskey Price Planned to Increase by 125％; Demand Higher than Production
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan’s Economy Contracts as Demand Wanes
- AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)
- Bears Sighted in Tokyo Suburbs, Including near Mt. Takao (Update 1)
- Tokyo Dips below 10 C; Temperatures Fall in Japan
- Tsunami observed in Japanese coast after the earthquake near Philippines (UPDATE2)