Snow crab fetches ¥5 million at 1st auction of season in Kanazawa
November 7, 2021
A snow crab was auctioned for a celebratory price of ¥5 million at a wholesale market in Kanazawa, Ishikawa Prefecture, on Saturday to kick off the start of fishing season for the winter delicacy.
The uncommonly pricey specimen, weighing 1.88 kilograms with a shell width of 15.6 centimeters, also became the first certified under the “Kagayaki” brand, newly created by the Ishikawa prefectural fisheries cooperative association to denote the highest-quality of crab caught in the prefecture.
The winning bidder was Hyakurakuso, which operates ryokan inns in Kanazawa and elsewhere. “We hope people all over the country can get to know the great appeal of Ishikawa’s crabs,” said an official.
"SOCIETY" POPULAR ARTICLE
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan, Finland confirm unity in dealing with Russia
- Mangaka Fujiko Fujio A dies at 88
- China’s aircraft carrier drills near Japan aimed at around-the-clock attack capability
- As wheat prices soar, Japanese food industry pushes rice flour as alternative
- Fukushima lab releases images of ‘highly likely’ UFOs