- SOCCER WORLD CUP
Samurai Blue midfielder Ritsu Doan: “Sorry to the people of Japan”
11:22 JST, December 6, 2022
DOHA — Following Japan’s loss to Croatia on penalties in the round of 16 at the World Cup, Samurai Blue midfielder Ritsu Doan apologized for the team’s performance.
“Sorry to the people of Japan,” said Doan, who started the match after having scored as a substitute against Germany and Spain to help Japan top its group.
Before the tournament, Japan head coach Hajime Moriyasu had set a target for his team to make at least the quarterfinals, which would have been a first for the men’s team.
In the match against 2018 World Cup runner-up Croatia, Doan’s cross from the right caused havoc in front of the Croatian goal, allowing striker Daizen Maeda to pounce on the ball to give Japan a 1-0 lead in the 43rd minute.
From then on however, Croatia’s stout defense stymied the Samurai Blue.
“There weren’t many chances,” Doan said.
“We had received a lot of support,” Doan said, “and we wanted to live up to those expectations.”
"SPORTS" POPULAR ARTICLE
Hanshin Tigers Win Japan Series for First Time in 38 Years, Beating Orix Buffaloes in Game 7
Japanese Skater Yuzuru Hanyu Announces Divorce
Shohei Ohtani to Donate Gloves to 20,000 Elementary Schools
Sumo in Crisis as Dwindling Number of Wrestlers Forces Body to Knock Over Tradition
Shohei Ohtani, Baseball’s 2-Way Star, Becomes First 2-Time Unanimous MVP (UPDATE 1)
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan, Vietnam Trade Ministers Discuss Supply Chains, IPEF
- BOJ Ueda: Japan Increasingly Likely to Hit Inflation Target
- Stimulus Package Set to Drive Greater Govt Borrowing; Likely Effectiveness Called into Question
- AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)
- Food, Beverage Price Hikes Show Signs of Easing; Fuel Prices, Consumer Frugality Slowing Down Price Rises