- OLYMPICS & PARALYMPICS
Beijing tries to spark Olympic mood in final 3 weeks
12:43 JST, January 14, 2022
BEIJING — With three weeks to go to the opening of the Beijing Winter Olympics on Feb. 4, the host country is ramping up efforts to lift the mood for the event dampened by the unending pandemic.
Chinese media are filled with daily reports of residents engaged in skiing, skating and other winter sports. On Wednesday, the Chinese government announced that the country has passed its goal of a winter sports-playing population of 300 million.
In Beijing, more and more streets are being adorned with banners bearing the Games’ logo.
A large number of people were seen playing ice hockey or skating on a frozen river at Beijing Olympic Park on Thursday. The park is home to the Beijing National Stadium, commonly called the Bird’s Nest, where the opening and closing ceremonies for the Olympics will take place.
"SPORTS" POPULAR ARTICLE
Hanshin Tigers Win Japan Series for First Time in 38 Years, Beating Orix Buffaloes in Game 7
Japanese Skater Yuzuru Hanyu Announces Divorce
Shohei Ohtani to Donate Gloves to 20,000 Elementary Schools
Sumo in Crisis as Dwindling Number of Wrestlers Forces Body to Knock Over Tradition
Shohei Ohtani, Baseball’s 2-Way Star, Becomes First 2-Time Unanimous MVP (UPDATE 1)
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan, Vietnam Trade Ministers Discuss Supply Chains, IPEF
- BOJ Ueda: Japan Increasingly Likely to Hit Inflation Target
- Food, Beverage Price Hikes Show Signs of Easing; Fuel Prices, Consumer Frugality Slowing Down Price Rises
- Japan 2023 Food Exports Reach 1 Tril. Yen at Record Pace
- Japan April-Sept. Current Account Surplus Hits Record High