Yamamoto tosses 4th no-hitter of NPB season
17:35 JST, June 18, 2022
Orix Buffaloes ace Yoshinobu Yamamoto fired a no-hitter against the Saitama Seibu Lions in Pacific League action on Saturday at Belluna Dome, winning 2-0.
It was the 97th no-no in the regular season in Nippon Professional Baseball history, and Yamamoto is the 86th pitcher to accomplish the feat.
He is also the team’s first pitcher since Yuki Nishi, currently with the Hanshin Tigers, to record a no-hitter.
Three other pitchers have tossed no-hitters this season: the Chiba Lotte Marines’ Roki Sasaki (a perfect game) on April 10, Nao Higashihama of the Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks on May 11 and Shota Imanaga of the Yokohama DeNA BayStars on June 7.
"SPORTS" POPULAR ARTICLE
Hanshin Tigers Win Japan Series for First Time in 38 Years, Beating Orix Buffaloes in Game 7
Japanese Skater Yuzuru Hanyu Announces Divorce
Shohei Ohtani to Donate Gloves to 20,000 Elementary Schools
Sumo in Crisis as Dwindling Number of Wrestlers Forces Body to Knock Over Tradition
Shohei Ohtani, Baseball’s 2-Way Star, Becomes First 2-Time Unanimous MVP (UPDATE 1)
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan, Vietnam Trade Ministers Discuss Supply Chains, IPEF
- BOJ Ueda: Japan Increasingly Likely to Hit Inflation Target
- Stimulus Package Set to Drive Greater Govt Borrowing; Likely Effectiveness Called into Question
- Food, Beverage Price Hikes Show Signs of Easing; Fuel Prices, Consumer Frugality Slowing Down Price Rises
- Japan 2023 Food Exports Reach 1 Tril. Yen at Record Pace