Emperor, Empress attend tree planting festival online
17:58 JST, June 5, 2022
TOKYO (Jiji Press) — The Emperor and Empress attended the 72nd National Tree Planting Festival in Koka, Shiga Prefecture, online from the Imperial Palace in Tokyo on Sunday.
Speaking to the audience in the Koka venue, the Emperor expressed hope that activities to protect forests and nurture water resources through cooperation among many people will spread from Shiga to the rest of Japan and be passed on to future generations.
Attending this year’s event from a driveway of the Imperial Residence, the couple planted cedar and Japanese maple saplings into wooden boxes containing soil and sowed Japanese black pine and other seeds.
The boxes will be transported to Shiga so that the trees will be planted there. The Japanese maple is Shiga’s prefectural tree, while the cedar is main produce of the local forestry industry.
The couple attended the annual event remotely for the second straight year.
"SOCIETY" POPULAR ARTICLE
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan, Finland confirm unity in dealing with Russia
- Mangaka Fujiko Fujio A dies at 88
- China’s aircraft carrier drills near Japan aimed at around-the-clock attack capability
- As wheat prices soar, Japanese food industry pushes rice flour as alternative
- Fukushima lab releases images of ‘highly likely’ UFOs