- IMPERIAL FAMILY
Father of Japan’s Crown Princess Kiko dies at 81
November 4, 2021
TOKYO (Jiji Press) — Tatsuhiko Kawashima, the father of Japan’s Crown Princess Kiko and a professor emeritus at Gakushuin University in Tokyo, died at a Tokyo hospital on Thursday. He was 81.
Kawashima was admitted to the hospital on Oct. 19. He had since been visited several times by the Crown Princess and her two daughters, Princess Mako, who married commoner Kei Komuro on Oct. 26, and Princess Kako.
Born in 1940, Kawashima became a professor at the university in 1976 after graduating from the University of Tokyo and serving as a lecturer at the University of Pennsylvania’s graduate school.
He had served as professor emeritus at Gakushuin University since 2011. He engaged in volunteer activities in northwestern Thailand for over 10 years while working at the university.
"SOCIETY" POPULAR ARTICLE
AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)
Bears Sighted in Tokyo Suburbs, Including near Mt. Takao (Update 1)
Tokyo Dips below 10 C; Temperatures Fall in Japan
Junko Ohashi, singer of ‘Silhouette Romance,’ dies at 73
X Japan Bassist Heath Dies at 55; Yoshiki Thought to Have Returned to Japan for Him
JN ACCESS RANKING
- BOJ Ueda: Japan Increasingly Likely to Hit Inflation Target
- Japan April-Sept. Current Account Surplus Hits Record High
- Food, Beverage Price Hikes Show Signs of Easing; Fuel Prices, Consumer Frugality Slowing Down Price Rises
- Japan 2023 Food Exports Reach 1 Tril. Yen at Record Pace
- 69.7 Bil. Yen in COVID-19 Loans to Small Businesses Uncollectible