Govt encourages removing masks when outdoors
11:46 JST, June 23, 2022
TOKYO (Jiji Press) — The health ministry is stepping up its call on people to remove face masks outdoors in principle during summer, when the risk of heat stroke increases.
Wearing face masks as a measure to prevent COVID-19 infections is “not necessary even indoors if people can stay apart from each other and don’t engage in conversation,” health minister Shigeyuki Goto said at a press conference on Tuesday, asking people to wear and remove masks according to the situation.
In May, the government released its view on wearing and removing masks, including in which situations they can be removed.
As many people still continue to wear masks outdoors, the ministry has decided to run a TV commercial to make the view widely known, as well as publishing a leaflet.
"SOCIETY" POPULAR ARTICLE
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan, Finland confirm unity in dealing with Russia
- Mangaka Fujiko Fujio A dies at 88
- China’s aircraft carrier drills near Japan aimed at around-the-clock attack capability
- As wheat prices soar, Japanese food industry pushes rice flour as alternative
- Fukushima lab releases images of ‘highly likely’ UFOs