- DEFENSE & SECURITY
Japan confirms China’s new facility in East China Sea
12:08 JST, June 21, 2022
TOKYO (Jiji Press) — The Japanese government said on Monday that it has confirmed the completion of a new platform linked to China’s gas field development in the East China Sea.
Japan’s Maritime Self-Defense Force has confirmed the installation of drilling equipment on the platform, the 17th such structure, in waters west of the Japan-China median line, according to the Foreign Ministry.
Takehiro Funakoshi, director-general of the ministry’s Asian and Oceanian Affairs Bureau, lodged a protest with Yang Yu, charge d’affaires ad interim at the Chinese Embassy in Tokyo, over the phone, saying that it is extremely regrettable that China is proceeding with the unilateral development.
Earlier this month, Japan also confirmed China’s moves to build the 18th such structure.
The Japanese and Chinese governments agreed on joint gas field development in 2008, but working-level talks on the matter have been slow to progress.
"POLITICS" POPULAR ARTICLE
Japan, U.S., S. Korea to Start Real-Time Missile Info Sharing
Fake Video of Japan Prime Minister Kishida Triggers Fears of AI Being Used to Spread Misinformation
Taiwan’s Semiconductor Giants Build Overseas Amid Global Demand, Local Labor Shortage
Govt Issues Emergency Warning Following N. Korea’s Missile Launch (Update 1)
Japan Provides Ukraine with Landmine Detectors, Vehicles
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan, Vietnam Trade Ministers Discuss Supply Chains, IPEF
- BOJ Ueda: Japan Increasingly Likely to Hit Inflation Target
- Stimulus Package Set to Drive Greater Govt Borrowing; Likely Effectiveness Called into Question
- Food, Beverage Price Hikes Show Signs of Easing; Fuel Prices, Consumer Frugality Slowing Down Price Rises
- Japan 2023 Food Exports Reach 1 Tril. Yen at Record Pace