Yamazaki 55 Whisky sells for $600,000
11:10 JST, June 21, 2022
TOKYO (Jiji Press) — A bottle of The Yamazaki 55 single malt whisky from Japan’s Suntory Spirits Ltd. has sold for $600,000, or about ¥81 million, at an auction at Sotheby’s in New York.
The successful price was higher than the $400,000 to $500,000 estimated before the auction. The auction took place Friday.
The Yamazaki 55 uses unblended whisky aged for 55 years or longer at Suntory Spirits’ Yamazaki Distillery in Shimamoto, Osaka Prefecture.
In 2020, the company sold only 100 bottles of The Yamazaki 55 by lottery as the company’s oldest whisky at a price of ¥3.3 million each. Thanks to its rarity, a bottle of the whisky later sold for 6.2 million Hong Kong dollars, or about ¥106.6 million.
"BUSINESS" POPULAR ARTICLE
Japan resumes entry of foreign tourists
Processing power: Robot speeds production at Nagoya food manufacturer
Restaurant chains think outside box to blunt hit from soaring prices
Bread crusts, coffee beans transformed into craft beer by Japan brewing firm
Philippines to call for banana price rise in Japan
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Fukushima lab releases images of ‘highly likely’ UFOs
- Ajiichi Hojo / Modern flavors in a history-steeped building
- Japan-sponsored bridge opens in South Sudan, raising hopes for peace and development
- Defense minister to China: Concerns exist between Japan and China
- Japan scrambled aircraft 4.5 times more this May than last