Daihatsu to sell special edition Copen to commemorate the model’s 20th anniversary
15:56 JST, June 20, 2022
Daihatsu Motor Co. announced Sunday that its special edition Copen mini sports car will hit the market in September to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the model’s launch.
The popularity of mini convertibles peaked in the 1990s, but the demand for such models has remained strong due to their compact size and responsive driving performance.
Daihatsu will only make 1,000 Copen special edition vehicles, which will have leather seats and a commemorative emblem. The company started accepting orders for the mini sports car on Monday. The price will be announced at a later date.
The two-seat Copen debuted in 2002. The model was discontinued in 2012, but the second-generation model was released in 2014. As of May, Copen’s cumulative sales totaled about 95,000 units.
"BUSINESS" POPULAR ARTICLE
Japan resumes entry of foreign tourists
Restaurant chains think outside box to blunt hit from soaring prices
Processing power: Robot speeds production at Nagoya food manufacturer
Bread crusts, coffee beans transformed into craft beer by Japan brewing firm
Philippines to call for banana price rise in Japan
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan, Finland confirm unity in dealing with Russia
- Mangaka Fujiko Fujio A dies at 88
- China’s aircraft carrier drills near Japan aimed at around-the-clock attack capability
- As wheat prices soar, Japanese food industry pushes rice flour as alternative
- Fukushima lab releases images of ‘highly likely’ UFOs